We Want To Help You
We are a trusted North Jackson dealership and that means giving our customers the quality auto repair and maintenance services that they expect. One of the most common services that our certified technicians perform is oil change service. There are many important factors as to why you should have your oil changed and the signs that will tell you when it's time. We will discuss all of those down below. Keep reading to learn more about oil change service and if you have any other questions feel free to give our Chevy service center a call today.
Signs You Need An Oil Change
Some of the symptoms of needing an oil change service can be obvious but others might not be. If you are experiencing any of the signs below, schedule a service appointment right away.
- Mileage. The general rule of thumb is to have your oil changed every 3,000 miles and it’s a good one to keep in mind. With the synthetic oil that a lot of modern vehicles use today, they can go up to 10,000 miles before needing service. If you’re unsure about the kind of oil your model takes, our technicians will be more than happy to help.
- Oil Light. If you can’t keep track of how many miles you’ve driven or you just forgot, another sign of needing an oil change is the oil or check engine light coming on. Once these lights come on, you don’t want to wait to schedule an appointment. Waiting can cause more damage than necessary.
- Oil Color. Fresh and clean oil is a lovely amber color. Dirty and old oil is usually black. Once your oil turns dark and black it begins to make the engine work harder and less efficiently. Try to change your oil before it gets too dark and dirty.
- Engine Noises. Loud clunking or knocking noises can be a sign that there isn’t enough oil in your engine and the parts are touching directly. When the components touch or rub directly, they create more friction and damage each other. Schedule a service appointment as soon as your engine begins to make unusual noises.
- Engine Smoke. The smell or sight of smoke can be oil burning directly on the engine or a complete lack of oil. If you are experiencing this, have one of our technicians take a look before any more damage occurs.
Why Oil Changes Are Important
Now that you know some of the major signs that you need oil change service, let’s go over why it’s important to have your oil changed. There are 4 main reasons to keep in mind:
- Lubrication. Your entire engine is made up of various different metal components and the oil you put in keeps those parts lubricated. This keeps them from directly rubbing together and creating more wear than normal.
- Coolant. Driving will cause your engine to heat up and when metal gets warm, it expands. The oil will not only stop these parts from rubbing together, it will also stop them from getting too hot. A lack of oil can cause the parts to create a ton of friction which will make more heat and the engine will overheat.
- Efficiency. As mentioned above, dirty oil can make your engine work harder. When your oil is clean, it ensures that your engine is working and moving efficiently. An efficient engine means better gas mileage. Regular oil changes can help maintain this.
- Lifespan. An efficient engine also means maintaining the maximum lifespan of your vehicle. No matter what, vehicle parts will be worn down over time, but regular maintenance such as oil changes can prevent the wear from happening too quickly.
For both the long run and short run, oil change service is very important for your vehicle. Regular oil changes can maintain your vehicle for years to come and allow you to get the most out of it. If you have any questions regarding oil change service at Spitzer Chevy Lordstown in North Jackson, feel free to give our service center a call today.
A Quick Recap
Oil change service is one of the most vital maintenance services that you can do for your vehicle. Lubricating and cooling your engine parts is extremely important to making sure that your engine is running efficiently and not damaging itself. The certified technicians at our North Jackson dealership are dedicated to providing you with a high quality customer service experience that you deserve. We service all makes and models of cars, trucks and SUVs. Schedule your next auto repair or maintenance service appointment with us today.